Tuesday, March 4, 2008

3/4/08 – On the road again

We left Sarasota this afternoon after market close—whew what an up and down day in the market…I should say down and up! It was such a pleasant stay at FireCat’s sister’s house. Her home is decorated in a Zen motif, even the dogs are calm! I really enjoyed her and her husband and wish we were able to see them more often. She is a nurse who works in a Hospice care facility and she has the right heart to be the perfect person to be there. What a great way to get perspective on life and a glimpse into a person’s real essence, being with them in their last days on earth.

FireCat and I enjoyed a wonderful barefoot walk on the beach Sunday, then some browsing in the shops at St. Armand’s Circle and delicious oysters Rockefeller hor d’oeurves on the upstairs balcony at Hemingway’s Retreat.

Yesterday I finally found time to get a pedicure…the toes were looking pretty raunchy since I hadn’t had one since I left home. Going to the beach and looking at my own bare feet was frightening! I love those massaging chairs and the pedicurist gave me a long, wonderful foot massage so I guess I am ready to head out on another adventure now. ;)

We have just a short trek today to Naples, FL, another upscale coastal town, and then we drive through the everglades on Wednesday, which I’ve been looking forward to for a long time. My hike might need to wait until we’re on our way back though since we need to pick up our host at the airport in Miami and drive her home to Key West. That’s about a three-hour drive so it will be a good chance to get acquainted with her.

But here we are now, driving along looking at beautiful bodies of water amidst lush greenery, a few raindrops falling on the windshield, watching a lovely sunset approaching and listening to an eclectic mix of music FireCat put together to satisfy us both (a nice range from opera to musicals to Bruce Cockburn, Imogen Heap, Motley Crue, Stephen Stills and a smidgeon of country, even a Christmas carol), which he somehow pipes into the sound system in the van through his computer.

And every once in a while I ask him to turn it down so I can read to him the financial news…since he’s done such a great job rigging the van with AC power and a cellular modem that gives me internet access while we drive. Today we are discussing the fall of the dollar, the importance of getting into some gold in one form or another, and the fact that this month marks the peak in ARMs that are re-setting…and guessing about the best timing for initiating my own refi before my ARM matures in September.

Yep, there’s not too much we can’t do on the road. We won’t be home for another month or two and we’re already talking about our next trip. The one thing we miss is getting to share in some of the life events of our friends and families. My brother-by-choice Doug turned 60 last week and we missed the big party, but hey—it just gives us a good excuse to celebrate again when we are home!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those eclectic CD's ... I made one called "Favorites" that sounds about like the one you described ... a lot of Oldies, with some classical, opera, musicals, Mannheim Steamroller, and a few strange contemporary pieces that have struck my fancy in recent years. I even included a couple of short comedy routines and historic radio broadcasts. It's a trip down college-memory lane every time I put those CD's on! ;-)

I was reading in Early to Rise yesterday that the real estate meltdown has cost us $200 billion so far, and that figure is expected to rise to $600 billion in the next 2-3 years. Do IM me tomorrow, if you can, about your ARM.

Unknown said...

I wish my name was Imogen. Think I'm going to get a name change! Hah!