Sunday, July 13, 2008

7/13/08 – On the Road Again

The TradeMobile is back in action, and what a whirlwind departure this one was! We didn’t expect to leave for another week but I noticed an apartment for rent in Yaletown, Vancouver for the last two weeks of July. Problem was, the owner wouldn’t hold it for us without a deposit and getting money to Canada would take awhile, besides the risk of sending a cashier’s check to someone I don’t know.

However, the owner turned out to be a delightful 25-year old woman who’s a cyclist and she was coming to San Jose for a 100-mile bike race on Sunday, so she said she’d let us have the apartment if we took cash to her in San Jose on Saturday. So we jammed for two days to get ready to go and here we are.

It took a bit of doing getting out of town yesterday though. After a late start, we got half an hour up the road and I realized I had forgotten my passport. So we drove back home and it wasn’t where I keep it. So we spent another hour tearing the house apart before I finally found it tucked into a small folder—what was I thinking?!

We finally arrived in San Jose at 8:00pm, dropped off the deposit and picked up the keys, and went for a nice dinner at Gordon Biersch, one of Firecat’s favorite restaurants from his software days in Silicon Valley. We drove up to San Francisco where we found a nice level street beside a city park near the Golden Gate Bridge and slept until about 9:00am in the van. After some Peet’s coffee, pickled eggs and fresh blueberries we’re on the Redwood Highway north to Eureka to visit my dad tonight.

Yeah, it feels great to be back in action! I was exhausted trying to get everything done to leave home for a month but after a good night’s sleep I’m full of energy and looking forward to another adventure. This time we will be driving and “camping” through some of my favorite forests where I grew up camping as a kid in northern California and Oregon, so there’s a lot of warm nostalgia for me in that. Plus, by the time we’re on our way back through in early August, the blackberries ought to be ripe!

No comments: