We spent a couple days in the LA area where Firecat completely rebuilt my laptop so I could trade this week after it completely crashed the day before we left home. I'm so lucky to be dating a tech genius!
After that we spent a night just outside Yuma, AZ--our first real night in the van--and last night was in Sedona. This was the first time there for both of us and it's beautiful. We're ready to go back, maybe for a week, on our way home. The red rock formations are amazing and there's a light layer of snow in the surrounding forests--wished we'd had more time to play on the way out, but we had to get to Albuquerque tonight for a non-refundable hotwire reservation. Mmmm, I wouldn't miss a real shower for anything.
The van is great to travel in--Firecat has it well-organized and we have our night time routine down pat now. But it sure makes me appreciate a warm shower and a shampoo more than I ever have! Still, if I think of it as camping it seems pretty luxurious. We've had champagne and cheese under the stars, watched a DVD on the computer (Hitch--rent it, it's a fun one), and kept warm snuggled under sleeping bags on top of a great self-inflating air mattress Firecat found. We have Internet access (via cellular modem) that works in the boonies and while driving...so all-in-all it has most of the comforts of home.
As I was driving along today (well, as Firecat was driving and I was enjoying the view and deep in thought), I realized that I'm finally getting to live my "Moon River" fantasy. You see when I was in junior high school my parents had an Andy Williams album that I fell in love with (and confiscated for my own room). I listened to it so much that I knew all the words to all the songs. It was something of a conversation piece among my friends who were all into the Beatles, etc.
My favorite was Moon River, I guess because it sounded like the kind of life I wanted to lead:
Moon River, wider than a mile
I'm crossing you in style some day
Oh dream maker, you heart breaker
Wherever you're going, I'm going your way.
Two drifters off to see the world
There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end
My huckleberry friend
Moon River...and me.
So, I feel like I finally found my huckleberry friend and we're drifting around (last night under the full Leo moon) seeing the world. It is becoming a special bonding experience with Firecat and I'm glad we have the chance to make these memories together. I was telling him the other day that I feel like I have begun a whole new chapter in my life...that no matter whatever comes after this, it's going to feel different and I doubt I'll ever see my life in the same way again.
"Well, next we're on to Santa Fe, NM then we'll probably take two days to get to our resort north of Dallas. We'll be there a week and Firecat will be conducting a trading workshop for our other trading partner and me, and I'll get to pick up the new computer I'm having delivered to his house.
Maybe tonight I can get Firecat to post some photos--he has taken some great ones, including photo documentation of where we spend the night each night...that's a guy for you, eh? ;)
Hugs to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment