Friday, January 25, 2008

1/25/08 - Tanglewood, TX

We arrived at a beautiful resort tonight where we will spend the next week in a focused trading seminar. It's a gorgeous place near a lake and wildlife preserve in northern Texas and it feels very luxurious to be in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath "home" after the van. I'm going to enjoy the spa and gym here, as well as walks in the surrounding forest. We had a nice simple dinner of champagne, bread and cheese and are enjoying spreading out. Internet access here is great, even though we are quite rural, so it is the perfect location.

Last night we were in Amarillo TX, my first time in Texas other than a quick overnight near the airport in Houston in the 80s. It really is a different culture and I enjoy listening to the accents. The people are very friendly. I felt bad sending my overdone prime rib back to the kitchen last night, but hey it's Texas and I expect a good steak...we opted to substitute the filet mignon and it was great.

We had heard that WalMart allowed overnighters in their parking lot so we checked it out last night and it was perfect. They were open 24 hours so I had a ready bathroom and didn't need to rely on my jar. ;) It gave me a little taste of what it would be like to be homeless...and it's not all that bad. ;) We woke up and drove to Starbucks, traded there, where Firecat had a good day in the market so we were able to leave early on our long drive to the resort. Texas really is a big state.

The night before we were in Santa Fe. We had planned to stay in the van after a nice night at the Hyatt in Albuquerque, but the forecast was for 17 degrees so we went on Hotwire rather than brave the cold and for only $39 found a wonderful old-style three-star hotel full of wood and southwestern charm called the St. Francis. Santa Fe is a lovely town, full of art galleries and interesting shops. I liked being there during the off-season with hardly anyone around. The surrounding rock formations are exquisite and the forests beg for me to return and give them an explore.

As I relaxed in the back of the van this afternoon while Firecat drove I found myself contemplating my life, my character, my mistakes and gifts, in a way as prelude to thinking about what I want in my life going forward, and who I want to be. So many thoughts swirl through my head. I am not ready to share them, but I realize I want to spend more time in this way. I have often found travel to be pivotal during transitions in my life. I don't know which is the cause and which the effect, but I sense this trip will be no different, and I look forward to seeing how all this will play out in my life. It seems like just the beginning...and I am feeling more of a positive expectancy of what comes next, both on this trip and in my life in general. Hmmm, stay tuned. ;)

No comments: