I had a scare with a nasty flu bug yesterday--muscle aches, splitting headache, scratchy eyes. I feared it might be the horrible flu my other daughter and her family caught when they were here over the holidays. So I pulled out all the tricks in my "doctor" bag to see if I could stop it in its tracks--echinacea, LOTS of roasted garlic spread on sourdough bread, zinc lozenges, grape juice and a cayenne pepper pill, followed by about 12 hours of sleep. Now I'm fine. Don't ask me which ones worked but I'm thankful something did!
This made me realize a similarity with my daughter. It's been an interesting week talking with her and her husband about their plans for their future. They are a fairly conservative Christian family who plan to home school and are looking for land in the country. They are moving in a couple of months into a mobile home on a friend's land so they can save up the money to buy several acres of their own. We have been mobile home shopping while I am here.
Their plan is to live as independently as possible. My daughter has been teaching herself to sew (I never could), use home remedies (like using her breast milk as a treatment for her older children's eye conjunctivitis), and other such things. She just bought a book on how to live without electricity. I told her that in my generation the people who tried to live like she wants to live were liberal hippies, and my dad used to say, "...but you don't hear them willing to give up electricity."
So she says "I guess that's what makes us different from the liberals." Firecat says about stock prices: "The future is the past with offsets." So I guess that could be said about the generations too, eh? ;)
Speaking of Firecat, he has been keeping himself busy after the trading day with his other love, music. Don't miss the photo at right of his mini-studio set up during his week at Charles' house.
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Haha! Cayenne pepper pills! Those are EVIL! I had one when I was there and I thought sister's husband was trying to kill me!! :)
Post a Comment