Sunday, February 3, 2008

2/3/08 - Austin, TX



We checked in Friday night at a quaint timeshare west of Austin at Lake Travis—very cute and reminiscient of my childhood in the 1950s. Firecat and I keep having these nice memories come up, triggered by the feel of the location, that we have been sharing about what life was like for us as kids. We had a nice walk around part of the lake Saturday afternoon, then went into Austin for the music scene on Sixth Street last night. It turned out to be mardi gras night in Austin and they blocked off Sixth Street.

We did sort of a progressive dinner, sampling different foods and drinks at some of the different estabishments. We had a wonderful corned beef and cabbage at B. D. Riley’s Irish Pub and after exploring the street, including giant Mexican margaritas at Iron Cactus, we returned there just in time to catch the concert by Al Haynes. Wow! Even Firecat was impressed with his chops. The only bad part for me when the music is so good is that Firecat wants to listen to it and watch the guitarist instead of dancing with me, but they sure played some great dancing blues. I’d love to see the SLO Blues Society get them some time. It was a very fun night, and we finally turned homeward about 1:15am.

You can check out Al Haynes and the bass player Appa Peters at:

I’m flying as I write to New Orleans—my first trip on ExpressJet and I’m impressed with them—efficient, on time, friendly (of course, it’s Texas), comfy and roomy seats, direct flights and inexpensive. Firecat will have a couple weeks break from me now. ;) He will be continuing the trading training with our friend and trading partner Charles for the rest of this week at the timeshare near Austin, returning to Charles' home near Dallas, then meandering south to explore San Antonio and Houston on his way to meet me in New Orleans. He has the camera so I’m not sure I’ll have pics to post for awhile.

I’m not sure if my daughter’s family has plans for the Super Bowl—I don’t think they have television so I’m not sure I’ll get to see it—but I hope y’all have a great time watching it…and let me know what your favorite commercials are. ;O

No comments: